So we moved in and had a washer – but no dryer – as explained in the previous post. So I figured before the dryer showed up I should get this room all painted while I can move things around.
While I am excited to have a laundry room – it is certainly not spacious. You can open the door – walk in and the washer and dryer are from wall to wall, with 2 cabinets (4 doors total) above them. With front loading doors I need to make sure I don’t leave them wide open or the door hits them when I walk in. My favorite feature of this room is the circular porthole window. The light in this room is a light and fan combination (which I still find strange for a laundry room).
I started with the ceiling. Even though it was white paint over white – the fresh paint just looked brighter. It was easier to do than the office because the room was so small. I then started the trim. The trim was beige – and I wanted to change it to white. I did a few coats to make sure it was covered.
I purchased a blue paint from The Home Depot – Tahoe Blue. But once I put a small swatch on the wall I realized it was lighter and more pastel than I actually intended.
I took my gallon of paint back to the store then next day. The paint lady, Sharon, I believe, was super nice about trying to get the color I started with as close to the color I was envisioning as she could. It wasn’t a fast process – it was adding a little bit of some color mix, then close, shake and see where it was. I think we repeated that close to 10 times. I ended up with a custom paint color mix – but it was exactly the color I wanted. Closer to this color: Voyage, but honestly I think I like the color I ended up with a tad better.
Excited I went home and started painting. Previously the whole laundry room was beige. I honestly don’t think it was painted since the house was built in 1988. A few coats later and I was happy with how it turned out.
I finished up this mini remodel with some spray paint. This light switch cover wasn’t painted over – one of the only ones in the whole house – but it was beige. So I took my spray paint and fix that up. I even poked the screws in a small piece of cardboard and matched them up.
I also got the light/fan combo. It is plastic and the plastic had yellowed with age. I was able to take it down and put on about 3 coats of white spray paint and it looks good to me!
We had our dryer delivered on a Saturday – I finished all the painting on Thursday night. Good timing.
The last part of the laundry room project will be to refinish the cabinets white. I figure this room will be a test of sorts to see how it goes. Then I can make the call the best way to move forward with other bathroom cabinets/the kitchen. I’ll let you know when I get to those!