We moved into our house Sunday and Monday. Then I went back to work Tuesday and Wednesday. Then, because it was the week of the fourth of July I had a 4-day weekend (good timing).
We started ripping the carpet up in 2 rooms downstairs on Monday. By Monday night we could fit 1 car (mine!) in the garage – not too shabby for just moving in. Tuesday & Wednesday after work I spent removing the staples and nail strips from where the carpet used to be. (I still can’t believe these floors were underneath that gross carpet!)
I also unpacked the kitchen. Which takes some time – since I had to figure out what was going to make the most sense for us. My favorite 2 areas in my new kitchen are: 1 – the island and 2 – the coffee bar. I’ve never had an island before and a week in and I notice I use it for everything. The coffee bar, we have a 2nd small sink in our kitchen so I decided to put our Keurig near it for easy water refills. I don’t even drink coffee, but I love tea, and my husband drinks coffee. In addition I was able to put all the coffee mugs in the cabinets above, both travel and normal mugs. And even put some stirrer spoons and travel lids in the drawer underneath.
I suppose I should add a number 3 as well – I actually have a pantry. I have always had a cabinet pretending to be a pantry until now. While I think it could use some more love and attention in the future (some of those Pinterest pantries are super neat and organized… in due time it will be tackled) but for now I am just excited for my food to have a designated home.
Can I also claim my love here for Mr. Clean and his magic erasers. The kitchen floors looked ‘clean enough’ but after some magic eraser-ing you can clearly see (below) that all that gunk is no longer embedded in the linoleum. Seriously – I bought the jumbo pack for more future cleaning. I love you, shiny head and all, Mr. Clean.
On Thursday I got the ‘we better get painting’ itch. So it began. Stocked up on some fresh paint from THD. Future note to self – next time I buy ceiling paint get the kind that changes colors. We couldn’t tell where we missed until it dried and the sun hit it a certain way (annoying)! We picked out a Behr Paint and Primer in one in Eggshell finish for the downstairs office. The color Mark ended up picking out was “Manhattan Mist” a lovely shade of Grey. (He now thinks it has a bluish hue and wishes it were more a pure grey – but I still really like it!) We have been loving the Houzz app for this stuff. You can search generic terms like “Grey Walls” of get specific like “Behr Manhattan Mist” and see some really great inspirational photos.
So far the most annoying bit has been the trim. Not only did I tape it all off, but the original trim color from 1988 was Beige. Then sometime after they installed the carpet some previous owner painted some of the trim white – awesome, right, since I want it white… Not quite. Because they painted it when the carpet was in there is a visible line right in the middle of the trim. I had to try to sand down the paint line before I painted. So far – 2 coats later – I still feel like you can see the line. Probably not a big deal, if I didn’t call it out here no one but me would probably notice. Just annoying enough. Also painting over outlets, light switches, and vents – super annoying. Most likely will be replacing all of them in the whole house, slowly. Initially I started to peel the paint off – but seriously peeling paint off of vents is not fun…
Other things happened around here with the assistance of Mark and his parents, David and Susan. The garage got organized – shelves installed, hooks put up, containers found places to be. Things have homes now. I wasn’t super involved, I had a little say in the gardening part but otherwise everything seems like it should be fairly easy to find. Plus, both cars now fit in the garage!
The electrical in the house got mapped out – before multiple switches in the box said “plugs and lights”. Not super helpful if you need to do electrical work in a specific room and just want to turn some of the power off… So they went through and figured out which breaker belonged to every light switch and outlet in the house, except one. Which may have tripped a GFCI since it’s in the powder room, but it’s not currently resetting. More research on that later – I’m sure.
We did a few other things this weekend but I will get into that in another post! Back to a full work weeks for both of us, hopefully we will find time to wrap up a few of the projects we started in the near future!